The Academy uses the Discovery RE scheme of work to support teaching and learning in RE. The scheme is structured to provide knowledge and skills development, with application of these to children's live's within and beyond school. We have used the scheme to support us to develop a sequenced and progressive programme of learning.
We have ensured that the scheme of work covers the locally agreed syllabus for RE and reflects the fact that the religious traditions of Great Britain are in the main Christian, while taking account of the teaching and practices of the other principal religions represented in Great Britain.
Our intent for RE is that it;
- provokes challenging questions about the meaning and purpose of life, beliefs, the self, issues of right and wrong, and what it means to be human. It develops pupils’ knowledge and understanding of Christianity, other principal religions, and religious traditions that examine these questions, fostering personal reflection and spiritual development
- encourages pupils to explore their own beliefs (whether they are religious or non-religious), in the light of what they learn, as they examine issues of religious belief and faith and how these impact on personal, institutional and social ethics; and to express their responses. This also builds resilience to anti-democratic or extremist narratives
- enables pupils to build their sense of identity and belonging, which helps them flourish within their communities and as citizens in a diverse society
- teaches pupils to develop respect for others, including people with different faiths and beliefs, and helps to challenge prejudice
- prompts pupils to consider their responsibilities to themselves and to others, and to explore how they might contribute to their communities and to wider society. It encourages empathy, generosity and compassion.
Implementation of RE
Outlined below is the knowledge, skills and vocabulary progression at Crowle Primary Academy for each strand in RE.
Please note that the progression document for the Big Question strand is coming soon.